tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • You can renew online via BPAY using your existing photo. You need the payment number from your renewal notice.
  • You can also renew at a service centre. You must show proof of identity and have a new photo taken.
  • You can renew your licence for up to 5 years.
  • You will receive a renewal notice in the mail. Once your licence has expired, you are unlicensed and should not be driving.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkRenew your licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About renewing a driver or motorcycle licence

    You can renew online using BPAY or at a service centre. It will take up to 21 days to receive your new licence.

    You can renew at any time for:

    • between one and 5 years at a service centre, or
    • one or 5 years online.

    A renewal notice will be sent approximately 4-6 weeks before your licence is due to expire.

    You can also register for an SMS reminder to alert you when licence renewal is due.

    How to renew

    OnlineService Centre
    Logon to your online banking serviceFind your nearest Service Centre

    What you need to renew

    Renewing online

    You can renew online if there is a biller code and payment number on your renewal notice.

    Online payment is by BPAY. Simply log in to your online or mobile banking, select BPAY and enter the:

    • biller code
    • payment number
    • amount.

    Your licence card will be posted out using the existing photo.

    If you do not have your renewal notice, you must visit a service centre.

    Renewing at a service centre

    You must:

    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • complete a renewal notice
    • pay a fee, and
    • have your photo taken.

    If you need to provide a medical fitness to drive assessment (PDF, 812KB), you must have this completed by your doctor or specialist, a report may be required upon request.

    If you are eligible for a concession, you may need to complete an application for concession and/or provide a medical certificate or report. Please contact us on 1300 13 55 13 if you need further information on concessions.

    Can I renew?

    You cannot renew a licence that:

    • expired more than 5 years ago
    • is subject to any suspensions or disqualifications.

    If your licence expired more than 5 years ago, you need to apply for a learner licence again.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    Number of yearsStandard feeConcession fee
















    Replacement licence



    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    OnlineBPAY Icon
    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • If you are interstate, overseas or in the armed forces, you will need to follow a different process to renew a driver licence.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on renewing your licence.