tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • You can drive in Tasmania on your interstate licence for up to 6 months, then you must transfer it to a Tasmanian licence.
  • If you have a learner, provisional, or heavy vehicle licence or a condition on your interstate licence, the details will be checked with the other state. This will happen before you are issued with a Tasmanian licence.
  • You must hand in your interstate licence card when your Tasmanian one is issued (unless it has expired).
  • The Moving to Tasmania life event contains additional information to help you manage the things that need to be done as part of the move.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkConvert your licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About converting an interstate or New Zealand driver licence

The service centre must check with the state your licence was issued in if you have:

  • a learner, provisional or heavy vehicle licence
  • any unspecified conditions on your licence.

The service centre will call you when they have received the information. You can then return to have the licence issued.

If you have a car or motorcycle licence without unspecified conditions, you can transfer it when you visit a service centre.

When you visit the service centre to transfer your licence you:

  • must hand in your current interstate licence card and have a photo taken
  • will be given a temporary paper driver licence until your card is posted out to you. This will take up to 21 days.

How to convert

What you need to convert

You must:

  • fill out an application form (PDF, 251KB) at a service centre
  • provide proof of identity documents
  • pay a fee
  • have your photo taken.

Learner and Provisional licence holders from New Zealand must provide a licence detail letter showing their licence issue dates.

Can I convert?

You can convert your licence if it has not:

  • been suspended
  • been disqualified
  • been cancelled, or
  • expired more than 5 years ago.

You must also meet the minimum age for holding that type of licence in Tasmania. The minimum ages are:

  • 16 years to hold a car learner licence
  • 16 years and 6 months to hold a motorcycle learner licence
  • 17 years to hold a provisional licence
  • 20 years to hold a full licence.

Please visit Plates Plus for more information on further requirements for learner and provisional licences.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Number of yearsStandard feeConcession fee
















Replacement licence



Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • If you hold a car or motorcycle licence issued in New Zealand it will be transferred the same way as an interstate licence but you must pay the fee.
  • Depending on your circumstances, you might need to provide a medical certificate before your licence can be converted.
  • If you are a member of the Australian Armed Forces, you do not need to transfer your interstate licence to a Tasmanian licence.

Please visit Transport Services for more information on converting an interstate or New Zealand licence.