tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullTransferring a vehicle online takes about 10 minutes.

Key info

  • You must transfer a vehicle into your name within 14 days of purchase, otherwise penalties may apply.
  • You can only use the online transfer service if both parties have a Tasmanian licence (or for organisations, a customer identification number).
  • You cannot transfer a vehicle registration that expired more than 3 months ago. The vehicle must be inspected and re-registered.
  • To register a vehicle you must be a registered operator of the vehicle.
    Get startedbutton_linkPlease visit Transport Services to transfer a vehicle registration onlineTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About transferring a vehicle registration

    To understand the steps you need to take before and after buying, selling, or transferring ownership of a vehicle without a sale, please visit Transport Services.

    You can use the online rego check service to confirm the vehicle's registration status.

    In addition to a transfer fee, you may also need to pay stamp duty on the market value or price paid for the vehicle.

    There are some exemptions from paying duty available.

    How to transfer

    What you need to transfer

    To transfer online you need:

    • the vehicle registration number
    • the vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
    • surname of both buyer and seller or organisation's name
    • date of purchase
    • purchase price or market price (whichever is higher) of the vehicle
    • payment.

    Motor dealers and organisations also need a motor registry customer identification number (CIN).

    Individuals also need the Tasmanian driver licence number of both parties.

    To transfer at a service centre you need:

    • your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • proof of entitlement to register
    • proof of exemption from duty (if applicable)
    • to pay a fee
    • a completed transfer application form (PDF, 3.25KB) (or the reverse side of the registration certificate) with signatures of all operators.

    Duty exemption

    You do not need signatures of all operators if you:

    • have acquired the vehicle as a part of a deceased estate or a relationship breakdown, and
    • are applying for a duty exemption.

    You will need to provide duty exemption documentation.

    Can I transfer?

    A maximum of 2 individuals may be listed as joint operators of a light vehicle.

    A heavy vehicle (over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass) can only be registered in one name.

    To transfer a vehicle into your name, you must:

    • be over 16 years old (for a light vehicle) or over 18 years old (for a heavy vehicle), and
    • have a Tasmanian garage address.

    For a body corporate to be a registered operator, it must be recognised by ASIC as:

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    Please use the duty and transfer fee calculator to work out the transfer cost.

    Payment options

    OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • Some vehicles cannot be transferred, please check the registration certificate to see if it has a condition recorded that indicates that it cannot be transferred. For advice call 1300 13 55 13.
    • If the vehicle is unregistered for less than 3 months, you must pay the renewal fee backdated to when it expired.
    • If you need to add or remove a person from your current registration you must pay half the duty fee and the full transfer fee.
    • Heavy vehicles that have a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of 4.5 tonne or more can only have one registered operator.
    • Vehicles with 10 or more seats must be registered as a large public passenger vehicle. If you have purchased a vehicle of this size for private use, you will be exempt from the MAIB premium costs associated with public passenger vehicles.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on transferring a vehicle registration.