|Disposing of a vehicle online takes about 5 minutes.|
- A notice of disposal must be submitted within 7 days of a sale.
- After you have submitted a disposal, your name is taken off the registration and you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.
- A notice of disposal can be submitted online, by post, by email, or at a service centre.
- If you are not the registered owner or operator you must have written permission in a statutory declaration (PDF, 114KB) to sell the vehicle. This must be completed by the registered operator.
About submitting a disposal notice of a vehicle registration
To understand the steps you need to take before and after buying, selling, or transferring ownership of a vehicle without a sale, please visit Transport Services.
You can only dispose of a vehicle online if both the buyer and the seller have a Tasmanian licence number. Or, for organisations, a customer identification number.
To dispose of a vehicle registration at a service centre, by post, or email you must have a completed notice of disposal form with the following details from all current registered operators:
- full name
- date of birth
- date of sale
How to submit
|Transport Services||Find your nearest Service Centre||The Registrar Motor Vehicles|
GPO Box 1002
Hobart, Tas 7001
What you need to submit
To dispose of a vehicle online you need:
- the vehicle registration number
- the vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
- surname of both buyer and seller or organisation's name
- date of purchase
- purchase price or market price (whichever is higher) of the vehicle
Motor dealers and organisations also need a motor registry customer identification number (CIN).
Individuals also need the Tasmanian driver licence number of both parties.
To dispose of a vehicle at a service centre or by post you need:
- a completed notice of disposal application form (PDF, 3.25MB), or
- to have completed the disposal section on the reverse side of the registration certificate.
To dispose of a vehicle by email you need:
- to email a copy of the completed notice of disposal application form (PDF, 3.25MB).
Can I submit?
Anyone can submit a notice of disposal.
Proving your identity
You do not need to prove your identity.
How much it costs
There is no cost associated with this service.
There is no payment required for this service.
- If you, or the buyer, choose to complete part of the process online, the other party can still complete the paper application form and submit at a service centre.
- You will not receive notification that your notice of disposal has been processed. You can contact us to confirm the disposal 7 days after submitting the form.
Please visit Transport Services for more information on disposing of a vehicle registration.