tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Only the registered operator can cancel the registration unless a signed letter of authority is provided.
  • You must hand in the number plates when you cancel the registration.
  • You may get a refund for any time left before the registration expires.
  • Vehicle registration can be cancelled at a service centre. If you have already moved interstate, you can surrender your Tasmanian number plates at the relevant transport authority in your new state or territory and provide the receipt or proof of surrender to tes@stategrowth.tas.gov.au.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkCancel a vehicle registration at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About cancelling a vehicle registration

    The registered operator of a Tasmanian registered vehicle can cancel the registration if the vehicle is:

    • stolen
    • written off
    • going interstate or overseas
    • unregistered, or
    • being wrecked.

    How to cancel

    What you need to cancel

    To cancel any registration, you must:

    • hand in your number plates
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents, and
    • supply a letter of authority if you are cancelling on behalf of a person or company.

    Reasons for cancelling

    You may need to provide other information, depending on why you need to cancel:

    If the vehicle or plates are stolen

    You must also provide a police report or completed statutory declaration (PDF, 114KB) explaining what happened. This must show the date of the incident.

    If the vehicle has been written off

    You must also provide confirmation in writing from one of the following:

    • your insurance company
    • a loss assessor recognised by the insurance company
    • a police report confirming the date of the incident.

    If the cancellation needs to be backdated, you must provide a letter from the insurance company or a police report number.

    If you are unable to hand in your plates

    You need to provide a completed statutory declaration providing the reason why you no longer have your number plates.

    When you do not need a letter of authority

    You do not need to provide a letter of authority to surrender if you are acting on behalf of:

    • a motor dealer
    • Tasmania Police
    • an auction house
    • an insurance company.

    Can I cancel?

    You can cancel the registration if the vehicle is currently registered in Tasmania and:

    • the registration is in your name, or
    • you are acting on behalf of the registered operator and can provide a signed letter of authority and their current Tasmanian licence (or other proof of identity), or
    • you are acting on behalf of the company that registered the vehicle. You will need to provide proof that you are acting on their behalf.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on who can cancel registration.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    There is no cost to cancel the registration of a vehicle.

    You may be entitled to a refund of the:

    • motor tax, and
    • Motor Accidents Insurance Board premium.

    This is calculated pro-rata from the date the plates are returned to the registration expiry date.

    Payment options

    If you are eligible for a refund, a cheque will be posted to you, please allow 21 working days to receive the cheque.

    More Information

    • It is an offence for unregistered vehicles to be driven on public roads and parked on public streets, unless you have an exemption.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on cancelling a vehicle registration.