tas.gov.au - external site
myServiceTas Account - external site

Key info

  • You can drive in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you are a visitor or hold a temporary Australian visa.
  • You must convert your licence within 6 months from the date you are granted permanent residency.
  • If your licence was issued by a recognised country (and is still current) you do not need to complete a test to convert your licence.
  • If your licence is from an experienced driver recognition country, you may not need to take a test, depending on your age.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkConvert an overseas driver licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About converting an overseas driver licence

For certain 'recognised' countries, you do not have to take a test or driving assessment to convert a current licence.

If your licence is not from a recognised country, or a country with experienced driver recognition status, you must pass a:

If you cannot convert your licence within 6 months after the date you are granted permanent residency, you may be able to get an extension from Transport Services.

Instructions for converting your overseas driver licence have been translated into simplified Chinese, Oromo, Persian, Nepali and Ukranian on the Transport Services website.

How to convert

What you need to convert

You must:

  • fill out an application form (PDF, 251KB) at a service centre
  • provide proof of identity documents
  • provide your overseas licence (and international driving permit, or English translation by a NAATI certified translator, if necessary)
  • verbally confirm that your permanent visa was not granted more than 6 months ago
  • provide a concession card if you have one
  • take an eye test
  • have a photo taken
  • pay a fee.

There are extra requirements to convert a current overseas driver licence that is from:

  • a non-recognised country
  • an experienced driver recognition country and you are under 25
  • Hong Kong and issued less than 12 months ago.

You must also:

If your overseas licence has expired, or your permanent visa was issued more than 6 months ago, you must apply for a learner licence before you can take the overseas driving assessment.

Can I convert?

You can apply if you:

  • are at least 17 years old
  • are not disqualified from driving anywhere else in the world or,
  • do not have any convictions or any driving bans that would prevent you from applying for a driver licence.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies, certified copies or laminated)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • Aurora+ phone application (name and address details must match the applicant's and be visible when sighted at a service centre. Must not be a screenshot)  
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Number of yearsStandard feeConcession fee
















A person who is 65 years or older is exempt from paying a licence fee but pay a fee of $12.03 for the licence card. For re-issue of a cancelled licence there is an additional processing fee of $44.50.

Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2023.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • The type of licence you will be given will depend on your age and when your overseas licence was issued.
  • If you have lived in another state of Australia the service centre may ask for more information before converting your overseas licence.
  • A heavy vehicle licence cannot be converted to a Tasmanian heavy vehicle licence. You can drive on your overseas heavy vehicle licence if you are a visitor or are here on a temporary visa.
  • If you need to wear contact lenses or glasses for driving, please make sure you wear them when you take the eye test at the service centre.

Please visit Transport Services for more information on converting an overseas driver licence.