tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • You can apply to register a vehicle in Tasmania if it is unregistered or registered in another state.
  • You must have the vehicle inspected at an approved inspection station before you can have it registered. The inspection is only valid for 30 days.
  • You must be able to prove that you have a Tasmanian garage address.
  • You may need to pay stamp duty when you first register a vehicle.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply to register a vehicle at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying to register a vehicle

    You can apply to register a vehicle in Tasmania if it:

    • is new or never been registered
    • was previously registered in Tasmania but the registration expired more than 3 months ago
    • was previously or is currently registered in another state
    • was previously registered in Tasmania but the registration was cancelled.

    You can register a light or heavy vehicle for 3, 6 or 12 months, trailers for 6 or 12 months.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    To apply to register a light vehicle you must:

    • provide an approved inspection station report
    • have the application on the reverse side of the report filled out
    • provide proof of entitlement to register documents
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • provide an authority letter if you are a body corporate
    • provide a concession card (if you have one)
    • hand in any existing number plates associated with the vehicle
    • pay a fee.

    To apply to register a heavy vehicle, in addition to the above you must also:

    Can I apply?

    You can apply if you are:

    • 16 years old for a light vehicle, or
    • 18 years old for a heavy vehicle, or
    • a body corporate, such as a company or an incorporated association, or
    • government department, or
    • government authority, and
    • you can provide proof of a Tasmanian garage address.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    To find out how much you need to pay, please visit Transport Services.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • You must pay stamp duty to register a vehicle in your name unless you:
      • can prove you are the last registered operator, or
      • have an exemption.
    • Please use the duty and transfer fee calculator to find out how much stamp duty you must pay.
    • Some vehicles have exemptions from registration or can be registered without an inspection.
    • If you have personalised plates including TasPlates, you can register your vehicle with those instead of the standard issued plates. The personalised plates must not be attached to another registered vehicle at the time of registration.
    • Vehicles with 10 or more seats must be registered as a large public passenger vehicle. If you have a vehicle of this size for private use, you will be exempt from the MAIB premium costs associated with public passenger vehicles.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying to register a vehicle.