tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Roadworthy vehicles that are used for a short, set distance and a specific reason can be issued with a restricted registration.
  • There are different categories depending on the type of vehicle and how it will be used.
  • You will have conditions placed on the use of the vehicle including when and how you can use it.
  • If your application is successful, you pay a reduced MAIB premium and you do not pay motor tax.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply for a conditional registration - restricted use at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying to register a restricted vehicle

    You must complete the application process to be granted a conditional registration - restricted use.

    Restricted use registration may be given to vehicles used for:

    • agriculture - needing limited access on public streets to move between properties
    • industry - short distance transport between nominated industrial addresses
    • recreation - on public land with a permit or land manager/owner consent
    • municipal and other work - roadside maintenance
    • towing a boat trailer - to and from the nearest boat ramp
    • golf buggies - that are used to cross public roads
    • snow mobile - used in national parks.

    Please note that even if your vehicle use fits one of these examples, you are not guaranteed to be approved.

    Transport Services have helpful guidelines (PDF, 691KB) on restricted registration.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    You must:

    • complete an application form (PDF, 691KB).
    • in some cases you must also complete the vehicle equipment checklist (PDF, 240KB). A photo of the vehicle must be included with the completed checklist.
    • provide proof of entitlement to register documents
    • provide proof of Tasmanian garage address
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • hand in any existing number plates associated with the vehicle
    • pay a fee
    • other documentation may be required depending on the class of vehicle. These are listed in the application form.

    Can I apply?

    You can apply if you are:

    • 16 years or over for a light vehicle, or
    • 18 years or over for a heavy vehicle, or
    • a body corporate, such as a company or an incorporated association, or
    • government department, or
    • government authority, and
    • you can provide proof of a Tasmanian garage address.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    To find out how much you need to pay, please visit Transport Services.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying for a conditional registration - restricted use.