tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • An ancillary certificate is valid for 12 months and must be renewed separately from your driver licence.
  • A renewal notice will be sent approximately one month before the certificate is due to expire.
  • You must make sure your working with vulnerable people registration is current before you apply to renew.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkRenew your ancillary certificate at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About renewing a taxi or ride-source ancillary certificate

You can renew your certificate up to 12 months after it has expired. You must not drive a taxi or ride-source vehicle, until your certificate has been renewed.

How to renew

What you need to renew

For taxi renewals, you need:

For ride source renewals, you need:

Can I renew?

You can renew your ancillary certificate if it expired less than 12 months ago.

If it expired more than 12 months ago, you must complete a new application.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Type of certificateCost 

Ancillary certificate to drive public passenger vehicle


Ancillary certificate in driving instruction


Ancillary certificate to drive a ride-source vehicle


Ancillary certificate to drive a ride-source vehicle (currently hold another ancillary certificate)


Duplicate or replacement ancillary certificate


Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • Taxi renewals are posted to you.
  • Ride source renewals are emailed to you.
  • If you need to provide a medical fitness to drive assessment (PDF, 812KB), you must have this completed by your doctor.

Please visit Transport Services for more information on renewing an ancillary certificate.