tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • You can ride in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you are a visitor or hold a temporary Australian visa.
  • Once you become a permanent resident you must convert your licence within 6 months.
  • If your licence was issued by a recognised country (and is still current), you do not need to complete a test to convert your licence.
  • If your licence is from an experienced driver recognition country, you may not need to take a test, depending on your age.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkConvert your licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About converting an overseas motorcycle licence

If you licence is from a recognised country or a country with experienced driver recognition status and you are over 25 you do not need to take a test.

Your overseas rider licence must be:

  • current, and
  • in English or accompanied by an official translation or international driving permit.

You must visit a service centre to convert your overseas motorcycle licence.

How to convert

What you need to convert

You must visit a service centre and:

  • fill out an application form (PDF, 251KB)
  • provide proof of identity documents
  • provide your overseas licence card (and international driving permit or English translation, if necessary)
  • verbally confirm that your permanent visa was not granted more than 6 months ago
  • provide a concession card if you have one
  • take an eye test
  • have a photo taken
  • pay a fee.

There are extra requirements to convert a current overseas driver licence that is from:

  • a non-recognised country, or
  • an experienced driver recognition country and you are under 25, or
  • Hong Kong issued less than 12 months ago.

You must also complete a:

If your overseas licence has expired, or your permanent visa was issued more than 6 months ago, you must apply for a learner motorcycle licence.

Can I convert?

You can apply if you:

  • are 17 or over
  • are not disqualified from driving anywhere else in the world, or
  • do not have any convictions or driving bans that prevent you from applying for a driver licence.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Number of yearsStandard feeConcession fee
















Replacement licence



Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • The type of licence you will be given will depend on your age and when your overseas licence was issued.
  • If you have lived in another state of Australia, the service centre may ask for more information before converting your overseas licence.
  • If you wear contact lenses or glasses, please make sure you wear them when you take the eye test at the service centre.

Please visit Transport Services for more information on converting an overseas motorcycle licence.