About applying for a firearms dealer licence
You will be contacted after your application has been submitted to arrange an inspection of the proposed business premises.
How to apply
|Find your nearest Service Centre|
What you need to apply
- provide completed forms provided in your application kit
- provide your current firearms licence and proof of identity documents
- pay the fee
In some cases, you may need to complete an approved firearms safety course. If required, Firearms Services will contact you within 21 days to tell you:
- what training you need to complete
- who to contact to arrange training.
Once the application is approved you must visit a service centre and have your photo taken.
Can I apply?
- hold a current firearms licence
- satisfy the Commissioner that you have primary responsibility for the management of the business proposed to be carried on under the licence by providing a business plan.
- allow an inspection of the proposed business premises
- be a fit and proper person (PDF, 233KB).
In addition to assessing whether you are a fit and proper person, your personal and business associates will also be assessed.
Proving your identity
You must show documents amounting to 100 points when lodging.
These documents must be originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
You can only show one of these
- Passport (70 points)
- Citizenship certificate (70 points)
- Birth certificate (70 points).
- Licence issued under law - a driver licence or current gun licence (40 points)
- Employment ID - card issued by employer with your name and address only (35 points)
- Employment ID - card issued by employer with your name only (25 points)
- Letter from employer within last 2 years confirming name and address (35 points)
- Rates notice (35 points)
- Credit or debit cards/passbooks - only one allowed per institution (25 points)
- Medicare card (25 points)
- Membership card - club, union, trade or professional bodies (25 points)
- Membership card - educational institution (25 points).
If you arrived in Australia less than 6 weeks ago, your passport is worth 100 points.
How much it costs
Categories A, B and H licence - 5 years
Categories A, B and H licence - 3 years
Category C licence - 5 years
Category C licence - 3 years
Category C licence - 12 months or less
Category D licence
Dealers licence or renewal
Museum licence or renewal
Heirlooms licence or renewal
You do not pay GST on firearms applications.
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.