|Lodging a notice of disposal online takes about 10 minutes.|
- When you sell a motorboat, you must notify Marine and Safety Tasmania (MAST) within 7 days of the sale.
- You can lodge a notice of disposal online, at a service centre, or by post.
- Disposals of vessels registered to multiple owners, or to a company or trust, cannot be lodged online and must be submitted using a paper form.
About disposing of a boat registration
When you sell a motorboat, you must notify MAST within 7 days or risk a fine.
A notice of disposal can be lodged online if:
- the vessel is currently registered in one name only
- you have the buyer's details, including their:
- full name
- date of birth
- mobile phone number.
How to dispose
|Dispose online at MAST||Find your nearest Service Centre||MAST|
GPO Box 607
Hobart TAS 7001
What you need to dispose
If you are disposing a boat registration online, you need:
- the full name, address, date of birth and mobile phone number of the person you have sold the boat to (if a vessel is sold to multiple individuals, enter the details for one buyer only)
- a mobile phone to receive a verification code
- a valid e-mail address to receive notification of successful disposal.
If you are disposing a boat registration at a service centre or by post, you need:
- a notice of disposal form (PDF, 145KB), or
- a certificate of registration with the disposal section on the reverse of the certificate filled out
- the full name, address, date of birth and contact details of the person(s) you have sold the boat to
- the signatures of all current registered owners.
Can I dispose?
There are no restrictions on who can lodge a disposal of a boat registration.
Proving your identity
You do not need to prove your identity.
How much it costs
There is no cost associated with this service.
There is no payment required for this service.
- You must still sign the change of ownership form and give it to the buyer(s) at the time of sale - even if you have a disposal notice.
Please visit Marine and Safety Tasmania for more information on disposing a boat registration.