tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Recreational motorboats and personal watercrafts with a motor of 4 hp or more must be registered.
  • You must be 16 or older to apply to register a motorboat or personal watercraft.
  • Motorboat registration is for recreational purposes only.
    Find a service centreService centre locationGet started at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreMAST logo

    About applying to register a boat

    All boat registrations expire on the 31 December each year. If you register part way through the year you pay a pro-rata fee.

    You will be given a unique registration number by Marine and Safety Tasmania.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    To apply at a service centre you must:

    • complete an application form (PDF, 246KB)
    • provide proof of identity
    • pay a fee
    • provide a receipt or proof of ownership which can be:
      • an official bill of sale signed by the seller and buyer
      • a certificate of registration signed by the last registered operator
      • a statutory declaration (PDF, 87KB) regarding the purchase.

      Can I apply?

      You can apply if you are 16 or older and the vessel is for recreational purposes only.

      Proving your identity

      There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

      1. your Tasmanian driver licence
      You can show your driver licence, even if it expired up to 2 years ago

      2. provide identity documents
      If you don't have a Tasmanian driver licence, you must show at least:

      • One Category A document and two Category B documents, or
      • Two Category A documents and one Category B document.

      • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
      • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Overseas passport/visa (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian firearms licence
      • Tasmanian Government personal information card (displaying full name)
      • Australian citizenship papers
      • Travel documents or ImmiCard (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection or Australian Government)
      • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection)

      • Medicare card
      • Bank or credit card with signature
      • Student identity card with photo (issued by an Australian educational institution)
      • Concession card (Veteran's Affairs/Centrelink/other current entitlement issued by the Australian Government)
      • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate/deed poll (not a church or celebrant issued document)
      • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
      • Working with vulnerable people or children card (issued by the Australian Government).

      At least one document must confirm your current Tasmanian residential address

      Additional evidentiary documentation may be required from the Evidence of Residential Address section below.

      Documents must be less than 6 months old.

      • Financial institution statement
      • Utility account (power, water, telephone)
      • Council rate notice
      • Lease or rent agreement
      • Land tax valuation notice
      • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
      • Certificate of title.

      • Adoption paper issued by court
      • Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
      • Change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
      • Guardianship order
      • Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

      If you are a provisional applicant, and you are unable to provide any of the above documentation to confirm a current Tasmanian residential address, you may provide one of the following:

      • Copy of driver licence of either parent (as identified on birth certificate)
      • Letter from current school confirming enrolment and address
      • Concession card - provisional applicant as a listed dependent

      How much it costs

      Boat Registration Fees

      All recreational vessels in Tasmania are registered annually with a common expiry date of 31 December.

      Marine and Safety Tasmania provide a handy registration fee calculator to help you work out the cost.

      Boat Registration Renewal Fees


      Recreational Vessels

      $85 (to 31/12/2022)

      Transfer of Ownership Fee

      Transfer of OwnershipCost

      Motor Boat


      Duplicate Certificate of Boat Registration

      Issue of DuplicateCost

      Certificate of Boat Registration


      Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

      Payment options

      Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

      More Information

      • If your boat is over 15 metres long you must complete a questionnaire, which will be provided at the service centre.
      • Interstate applicants must provide proof of where the vessel is stored in Tasmania.

      Please visit Marine and Safety Tasmania for more information on applying to register a boat.