tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Tasmania offers you the chance to enjoy an enviable lifestyle with a balance of work and leisure.

Being Tasmanian isn’t about where you’re born. It isn’t for everyone, but for some of us, this is the only place. A home where you can surf in the morning, hike in the afternoon, and where arts, sport and culture flourish. 

If you’re considering a move to our beautiful state, this guide explains what to do when you:

Preparing for the move

We are spoilt for choice when it comes to beautiful regions and neighbourhoods. We’re also blessed with top-shelf education and work opportunities.  Here is some key information to help inform those important decisions that are going to shape your new life.

Our climate and weather varies by region – from mild, rainy winters and warm, sunny summers on the coast to drier, cooler weather in the central areas.

Make it Tasmania has a helpful summary of our regions and their unique appeal.

Some important things to consider when you have decided where to live include:

Buying or renting

Consumer, Building and Occupational Services provide useful advice about renting in Tasmania and buying a property. Make it Tasmania has data on suburb median house prices.

Social housing

You cannot apply for a home or transfer to a social housing property from interstate – you must be a resident of Tasmania when you apply.

Social housing is managed separately in each state and each have different eligibility criteria and ways of managing waiting lists.

You can make an application for housing support through Housing Connect.

Organising utilities

If you need to organise the connection of energy and water services before you arrive:

The Australian Government’s childcare finder can help you find your nearest suitable childcare including:

  • centre-based day care
  • family day care
  • in home care
  • outside school hours care.

Starting Blocks provides information on the different childcare quality ratings that may help you find the right childcare for you and your family.

Government state schools and colleges

The Tasmanian Government provides schooling for students from kindergarten to Year 12.

  • primary school (ages 4 to 11)
  • junior high school (ages 12 to 15)
  • senior high school (ages 16 to 18) where students work towards the nationally recognised Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE).

The Department for Education, Children and Young People has information on how to enrol your child in a Tasmanian Government school.

Private schools

Tasmania also has faith-based and other independent schools around the state, many of which have strong demand for places in both primary and secondary years.

Independent Schools Tasmania can provide more information on private schools.


The University of Tasmania offers undergraduate, postgraduate and research study options with real-life learning and close industry connections.

There are campuses in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie.


TasTAFE is the largest provider of education and training services in Tasmania. It offers over 200 nationally accredited and industry-endorsed qualifications.

Courses range from Certificate I to Advanced Diploma level, as well as short courses across more than 30 industry areas.

Students with disability

The Department of Education, Children and Young People supports schools to build inclusive school communities where all students with disability are supported to learn, contribute and take part in all aspects of school life.  Support is provided through:

International students

Government Education and Training International (GETI) specialises in connecting international students with flexible education at Tasmanian Government public schools and TasTAFE.

Financial support with school costs

The Student Assistance Scheme (STAS) provides help for low-income families with students in kindergarten through to Year 12.

The Department of Education provides helpful guidelines on the STAS (PDF, 252KB).

Student bus pass

Your child may be eligible for a student bus pass giving them free travel on bus services between home and school, from 6am to 7pm on school days.

Find out how to apply for the student bus pass at Transport Services.

Potential employers and employment resources

The Tasmanian State Service (TSS) is the largest employer in Tasmania, with over 30,000 employees and over 200 types of jobs, from administration to zoology. Visit Tasmanian State Service Jobs to see the current opportunities.

The Jobs Hub Network connects local employers together with job seekers providing dedicated employment support services including career counselling, advice on how to get job ready, and transport options.

Job Search provides helpful resources, including:

  • employment provider details
  • online learning modules
  • career transition assistance.

If you’re a teacher looking to move to Tasmania, Teach in Tasmania can give you insight into working in a Tasmanian government school, where the lifestyle and work opportunities are those that other places in Australia can only dream of.

Libraries Tasmania can also provide extra resources and support to help you find a job.

If you're looking for inspiration, the Tasmanian website has information on different industry sectors and stories of others that have made the move.

Occupational registration and licensing

You may need a licence or registration to work in your chosen occupation here in Tasmania. Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) can help with things such as:

Other licences are available through WorkSafe Tasmania, including:

The Job Ready Fund is also available to support Tasmanian job-seekers in gaining the essential tools they need to get a job - including White Card accreditation, work boots, protective clothing or tools.  Eligible Tasmanians can receive up to $500 to be used to address barriers to employment to ensure that they are work-ready on day one of their new pathway and career.

Working in Tasmania for migrants

If you’re planning to migrate to Tasmania, you’ll need to decide which visa option suits your needs. It may also be worth exploring if you are eligible for Tasmania’s Business and Skilled Migration Program.

If you have overseas qualifications you must show you have the skills and knowledge necessary to be granted a licence or certificate in Tasmania. CBOS has additional information on how to do this.

Starting a business

If you are thinking about starting a business or moving your business to Tasmania, be sure to visit Business Tasmania. They can provide information and support from having an idea, planning your business to expanding your place in the market and everything in between.

If you need inspiration, the Tasmanian website contains information and stories of others who have made the move to Tasmanian and started their own business.

Moving with pets

If you’re moving with pets, Biosecurity Tasmania has a quick guide that covers what you need to know.

If you’re bringing your dog, you’ll need to register it with your local council once you arrive.

If you’re bringing your cat, the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment has more information for cat owners in Tasmania.

Getting here

As Australia's only island state, access to Tasmania is by air and sea only. Discover Tasmania provides an overview of the options available when you’re ready to move.

More information

Make it Tasmania also has useful information to help you get ready to make the move.

When you arrive

There are a number of important tasks you need to complete to ensure you comply with our local legislation, such as transferring your driving licence and letting key organisations know that you are here.

If you have arrived with a vehicle, you must register it in Tasmania within 3 months.

Transport Services have an interstate transfer checklist to guide you through the steps involved.

If you've moved from another Australian state or territory (or New Zealand), you can only drive in Tasmania on your existing licence for 6 months.

You must visit a service centre and apply to transfer your licence to a Tasmanian driver licence within that period. Sometimes interstate checks may need to be made, so allow plenty of time for the transfer to be processed.

Transport Services has additional information on converting an:

There is often quite a few organisations and services that you need to notify when you move.

Some key ones to consider are:

Postal address

Organising a mail redirection with Australia Post can help make your move a little easier.  Once set up, your mail will be forwarded from your old address directly to your new address, leaving you free to focus on your move.

Key government services

Be sure to also update your details with:

You may want to apply for a Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card which you can use to provide proof of your identity and age.

Boating licences

Recreational boats with a motor of 4hp or more and personal watercraft must be registered in Tasmania.

Marine and Safety Tasmania provides information on how to register your boat.

Fishing licences

In Tasmania, you do not need a licence to fish with the following types of line fishing gear in marine waters:

However, you do need a recreational sea fishing licence for some:

  • abalone
  • scallop
  • rock lobster pot, and
  • net and set line fishing.

Anyone over the age of 14 must have a current angling licence to fish with a rod, reel or line at any inland water in Tasmania. This includes farm dams on private property.

The Department of Natural Resources and the Environment Tasmania provides information on recreational sea fishing licences.

Hunting and firearms licences

You need a licence to hunt the following animals during certain seasons:

  • deer
  • wild duck
  • muttonbird
  • wallaby ​
  • brown quail
  • pheasant.

If you over 18 you must also have a current firearms licence (unless you are hunting muttonbirds).

If you are aged 14 to 17 (known as a minor), you must have a current Tasmanian minor's (firearms) permit to use a firearm. Before any minor can shoot in the field, they must complete the course in firearms safety.

Overseas firearms licences are not recognised in Tasmania.

Please contact Firearms Services on (03) 6173 2720 for more information on firearms licences.

Living in Tasmania

Once you’re settled and beginning to enjoy your new life, you’ll need to understand more about how things work in Tasmania and what services are available. You also want to make sure that you are aware of any discounts or concessions that you may be eligible for.

Driving in Tasmania

Once you changed to a Tasmanian driver licence and transferred your vehicle registrations, you need to be familiar with the Tasmanian road rules.

Tasmania is a great place to explore. Beautiful scenery, changing landscapes and roads, but conditions can take you by surprise. There are a few simple tips and rules you should know to keep both you and your passengers’ safe.

Using public transport

Buses and coaches are the main form of public transport in Tasmania as there are no rail services.

Metro Tasmania is the largest public transport provider with bus services that connect communities in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie.

You can find information about all bus routes, timetables, fares and other modes of passenger transport via Transport Services.

Health services

Tasmania has 4 major public hospitals with a supporting network of rural hospitals and multipurpose services.

Our public hospitals are:

Healthscope Tasmania, Calvary Health Care Tasmania and Health Care Australia also provide private hospital services in Tasmania.

The Department of Health has a handy service finder to help you find local health services in your area.

Ambulance Tasmania

Ambulance Tasmania provides emergency ambulance care and transport services and a non-emergency patient transport service. They operate a network of urban, rural and remote ambulance stations.

This is a free service to residents within Tasmania and its islands. The only chargeable cases are:

  • motor vehicle or workplace accidents where insurance arrangements cover costs, and
  • cases involving veterans where the Department of Veterans Affairs meets the cost of ambulance transport.

The 000-emergency phone number connects with Ambulance Tasmania's 24-hour state operations centre for emergency ambulance response anywhere in Tasmania including the Bass Strait islands.

If it is not an emergency, all other calls for ambulance treatment and transport should be made to 1800 008 008.

Disability services

Around one in 5 Tasmanians live with a disability. More information about disability services in Tasmania is available on the Department of Premier and Cabinet website.

The Australian Government Disability Gateway also has information and services to help people with disability, their family, friends and carers, to find the support they need.

Students with disability

Support for students with disability is provided across the following key areas:

Employment services

Disability Employment Services can help you find and keep a job if you have a disability, illness or injury.

The Disability Employment Program is a joint arrangement between the State Government and registered disability employment service providers. It aims to develop and promote a diverse Tasmanian Public Sector workforce.

Read more about the other disability employment support services at JobAccess.

Transport services


If you have a disability you need to comply with special requirements when applying for a learners licence or modifying a vehicle. Transport Services has information that can help you through the process.


Disability parking permits are processed by Transport Services. Applications take approximately 3 weeks.

Using public transport

If you rely on public transport, you may be eligible for subsidised travel under the Taxi Subsidy Program.

In addition, free travel is available on public transport to:

Metro Tasmania is the largest public transport provider in Tasmania operating bus services to connect communities in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie. Metro timetables feature a wheelchair icon to show wheelchair accessible services on each route.

Please view Metro Tasmania for more information about wheelchair accessible buses and other services for people with disability.

Companion card

The Tasmanian Companion Card entitles eligible people with lifelong disability to a free ticket for their companion carer at participating venues and events.

To check your eligibility visit the Companion Card website.

Exploring your new home

Once you are all settled it’s a great time to get out and start enjoying your new home.

You'll find a wealth of new and exciting experiences including amazing arts and cultural events, first-class food and drink and some of the most stunning and unique landscapes in the world.

Discover Tasmania can help you get started.