tas.gov.au - external site
coronavirus.tas.gov.au - external site

Key info

  • You must apply for an SSDS permit to make, import, export, buy, sell, supply, use, dispose of, store or transport dangerous substances.
  • To apply for, renew or change a permit you must have a responsible worker identity card.
  • You can apply for a 12 month or 3 year permit.
  • You must apply at a service centre.
    Find a Service CentreSTGet started at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreWorkSafe Tasmania Logo

    About applying for, renewing or amending a security sensitive dangerous substances permit (SSDS)

    You must get an SSDS permit from WorkSafe Tasmania to use, store, make, buy, sell or import:

    • SSE (security sensitive explosives)
    • SSAN (security sensitive ammonium nitrate).

    If you have an SSDS permit, you can also apply to have 'responsible workers' added to the permit. 'Responsible workers' can carry out restricted activity on your behalf.

    If you are involved in activities using less than 3 kg of SSAN, you can apply for an exemption by submitting an application for exemption form (PDF, 260KB) at any service centre.

    How to apply, renew or amend

    What you need to apply, renew or amend

    You must visit a service centre and:

    • provide a completed application form (PDF, 1.7MB)
    • provide a site map (an example of a site map is in the application form)
    • pay a fee.

    Can I apply, renew or amend?

    You can apply for, renew or amend if you:

    Proving your identity

    You do not need to prove your identity.

    How much it costs

    Security sensitive dangerous substances permits (SSDS)Fee

    Application for long-term SSDS permit - base fee


    Application for short-term SSDS permit - base fee


    Replacement of permit (first time) 


    Replacement of permit (second or subsequent time)


    Responsible workersFee

    Nomination of new responsible worker (including renewals)


    Additional fee for each background check


    Additional fee for each responsible worker


    Replacement of identity card (first time)


    Replacement of identity card (second or subsequent time)


    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    Please visit WorkSafe Tasmania for more information on applying for, renewing or amending an SSDS permit.