tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

    Find a Service CentreSTGet started at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreWorkSafe Tasmania Logo

    About applying for or renewing a responsible worker identity card

    If you have a security sensitive dangerous substances permit, you can apply to have 'responsible workers' added to the permit. 'Responsible workers' can carry out restricted activity on your behalf.

    These activities include:

    • manufacturing
    • importing
    • exporting
    • buying
    • supplying
    • using
    • disposing
    • storing
    • transporting.

    How to apply or renew

    What you need to apply or renew

    You must visit a service centre and:

    • provide a completed application form 
    • provide proof of identity documents
    • pay a fee.

    Can I apply or renew?

    You can apply if you:

    • are 18 or older
    • have a legitimate need for the permit
    • are a 'fit and proper person' as determined by a national police record check (you must give consent to this check on your application form)
    • have an existing SSDS permit.

    Proving your identity

    You must provide 3 documents from the following lists to support your application. All documents must be:

    • current
    • the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)

    You must have:

    • One document from category A and 2 documents from category B, or
    • Two documents from category A and one document from category B.

    • Birth certificate (not an extract)
    • Citizenship papers
    • Passport
    • Driver licence
    • Firearm licence
    • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued travel documents, including a visa
    • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued certificate of evidence of residential status.

    • Medicare card
    • Plastic bank or credit card, with signature
    • Tertiary student card
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession card
    • Births Deaths and Marriages change of name or marriage certificate (to prove name change)
    • Security guard or crowd controller licence
    • Government issued personal photo ID card.

    How much it costs

    Security sensitive dangerous substances permits (SSDS)Fee

    Application for long-term SSDS permit - base fee


    Application for short-term SSDS permit - base fee


    Replacement of permit (first time) 


    Replacement of permit (second or subsequent time)


    Responsible workersFee

    Nomination of new responsible worker (including renewals)


    Additional fee for each background check


    Additional fee for each responsible worker


    Replacement of identity card (first time)


    Replacement of identity card (second or subsequent time)


    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    Please visit WorkSafe Tasmania for more information on applying for or renewing a responsible worker identity card.