- You must have a responsible worker identity card to carry out restricted activity on a behalf of someone with a security sensitive dangerous substances (SSDS) permit.
- You must apply for or renew at a service centre.
About applying for or renewing a responsible worker identity card
If you have a security sensitive dangerous substances permit, you can apply to have 'responsible workers' added to the permit. 'Responsible workers' can carry out restricted activity on your behalf.
These activities include:
How to apply or renew
|Find your nearest Service Centre|
What you need to apply or renew
You must visit a service centre and:
- provide a completed application form (PDF, 1.3MB)
- provide proof of identity documents
- pay a fee.
Can I apply or renew?
You can apply if you:
Proving your identity
You must provide 3 documents from the following lists to support your application. All documents must be:
- the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
You must have:
- One document from category A and 2 documents from category B, or
- Two documents from category A and one document from category B.
- Birth certificate (not an extract)
- Citizenship papers
- Driver licence
- Firearm licence
- Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued travel documents, including a visa
- Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued certificate of evidence of residential status.
- Medicare card
- Plastic bank or credit card, with signature
- Tertiary student card
- Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession card
- Births Deaths and Marriages change of name or marriage certificate (to prove name change)
- Security guard or crowd controller licence
- Government issued personal photo ID card.
How much it costs
|Security sensitive dangerous substances permits (SSDS)||Fee|
Application for long-term SSDS permit - base fee
Application for short-term SSDS permit - base fee
Replacement of permit (first time)
Replacement of permit (second or subsequent time)
Nomination of new responsible worker (including renewals)
Additional fee for each background check
Additional fee for each responsible worker
Replacement of identity card (first time)
Replacement of identity card (second or subsequent time)
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.