|Applying online takes about 10 minutes.|
- An electrical provisional licence is only granted to people coming to Tasmania from overseas.
- The licence is issued for 12 months.
- While you are on an electrical provisional licence, you must carry out supervised work to get experience working to Australian Standards and complete the required gap training.
- If your application for an electrical provisional licence is successful, you get confirmation within 21 days.
|Get started||CBOS||Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services to apply for an electrical provisional licence|
About applying for an electrical provisional licence
Once you apply online, you must visit a service centre to provide proof of identity and get a photo taken for your licence.
How to apply
What you need to apply
- provide proof of identity documents
- provide a digital copy of your offshore technical skills record assessment and proof of enrolment in gap training
- answer a set of declaration questions (with any supporting documents)
- provide payment
- have a photo taken at a service centre. If you are interstate or overseas, you must provide a passport-size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
Can I apply?
- be a fit and proper (PDF, 147KB) person
- have an offshore technical skills record (OTSR) assessment issued under the Trades Recognition Service guidelines by one of these approved organisations:
- have an assessment of gap training done by a registered training organisation. In Tasmania this training is offered by TasTAFE
- enrol with a registered training organisation to complete the gap training that has been identified
- complete continuing professional development.
Proving your identity
There are 2 ways to prove your identity:
1. Your Australian driver licence
You can show your Australian driver licence with your correct name and address details to prove your identity.
2. Provide identity documents
If you don't have a driver licence you must show at least:
- One 'main proof of identity' document and two 'second proof of identity' documents, or
- Two 'main proof of identity' documents and one 'second proof of identity' document.
These documents must:
- show your current Tasmanian address
- be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.
If you bring copies of your original certificates they must be certified by a Commissioner for Declaration or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
- Australian citizenship papers
- Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
- Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
- Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
- Australian firearms licence
- Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection issued travel documents or Australian Government issued ImmiCard
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection certificate of evidence of resident status.
- Medicare card
- Bank or credit card, with signature
- Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
- Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
- Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll.
If you have changed your address or name
If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you need to show us proof of your current name or address.
If your name is different to what is shown on your main proof of identify, you must also give us at least one original proof of change of name document.
At least one of your documents or cards must show your date of birth and current Tasmanian home address. If the current address is not shown, you need to provide a fourth document that is less than 6 months old, from the category proof of change of address.
To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:
- financial institution statement
- lease or rent agreement
- council rate notice
- utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
- land tax valuation notice
- Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
- certificate of title.
To show evidence of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:
- adoption paper issued by court
- divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
- change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
- guardianship order
- marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).
If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.
How much it costs
|Occupational licence||One year licence||Three year licence|
No licence option
No licence option
No licence option
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services for more information on applying for an electrical provisional licence.