tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullApplying online takes about 10 minutes.

Key info

  • You must have an electrical practitioner licence to carry out electrical work. This includes if you are an employee of a business doing electrical work.
  • Electrical work includes the installation, repair, alteration or removal of an electrical infrastructure, electrical circuit or associated fittings, equipment or accessories.
  • If your application is successful, you get confirmation within 21 days.
Get startedbutton_link

Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services to apply for an electrical practitioner licence

Consumer, Building and Occupational Services logo

About applying for an electrical practitioner licence

Once you apply online, you must visit a service centre to provide proof of identity and have a photo taken for your licence.

You must also contact TasTAFE and arrange to be assessed as competent. For electricians this means re-sitting your final exam. You must attach proof of this to your application.

How to apply

What you need to apply

You must provide:

Can I apply?

You must:

Proving your identity

There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

1. Your Australian driver licence

You can show your Australian driver licence with your correct name and address details to prove your identity.

2. Provide identity documents

If you don't have a driver licence you must show at least:

  • One 'main proof of identity' document and two 'second proof of identity' documents, or
  • Two 'main proof of identity' documents and one 'second proof of identity' document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

If you bring copies of your original certificates they must be certified by a Commissioner for Declaration or a Justice of the Peace (JP).

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection issued travel documents or Australian Government issued ImmiCard
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you need to show us proof of your current name or address.

    If your name is different to what is shown on your main proof of identify, you must also give us at least one original proof of change of name document.

    At least one of your documents or cards must show your date of birth and current Tasmanian home address. If the current address is not shown, you need to provide a fourth document that is less than 6 months old, from the category proof of change of address.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show evidence of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    Occupational licenceOne year licenceThree year licence


    No licence option




    No licence option



    No licence option

    Secondary fee



    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • The Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) scheme has commenced in Tasmania. This allows you to use your current licence or registration to do the same activities in other parts of Australia. Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services to find out more.

    Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services for more information on applying for an electrical practitioner licence.