tas.gov.au - external site
coronavirus.tas.gov.au - external site

Key info

  • You must have a white card to work in the construction industry at any level.
  • Before you apply, you must complete construction induction training with a registered training organisation in Tasmania.
  • You must apply at a service centre within 60 days of completing construction induction training with a statement of attainment and proof of identity documents.
    Find a Service CentreService Tasmania Apply for a white card at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreWorkSafe Tasmania Logo

    About applying for a white card

    You must complete your white card training in Tasmania with a registered training organisation (RTO).

    Once you have successfully completed this training, the RTO will give you a statement of attainment. This statement will not be accepted if it does not include:

    • your name
    • the RTO number
    • the date of issue, and
    • training unit number.

    You have 60 days after completing your training to apply for a white card at a service centre. If it is later than 60 days, you will need a written declaration by the RTO that you have successfully completed the training.

    You do not need to get a Tasmanian white card if you are from another state and hold a current and valid card.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    When you visit the service centre you must:

    • bring a completed white card application form
    • bring your certificate of training/statement of attainment issued by a RTO
    • bring your evidence of identity
    • pay the licence fee.

    Can I apply?

    You can apply for a white card if you:

    Proving your identity

    You must provide 3 documents from the following lists to support your application. All documents must be:

    • current
    • the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)

    You must have:

    • One document from category A and 2 documents from category B, or
    • Two documents from category A and one document from category B.

    • Birth certificate (not an extract)
    • Citizenship papers
    • Passport
    • Driver licence
    • Firearm licence
    • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued travel documents, including a visa
    • Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs issued certificate of evidence of residential status.

    • Medicare card
    • Plastic bank or credit card, with signature
    • Tertiary student card
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink Pensioner Concession card
    • Births Deaths and Marriages change of name or marriage certificate (to prove name change)
    • Security guard or crowd controller licence
    • Government issued personal photo ID card.

    How much it costs

    Licence typeLicence fee

    Construction induction, white card application


    Construction induction, white card replacement


    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • If you do not receive your card within 60 days, please contact WorkSafe Tasmania.
    • When you get your white card, it's a good idea to record the number. If you lose your card and need to replace it, you can give the number to WorkSafe Tasmania.
    • You can update your address details directly with WorkSafe Tasmania.

    Please visit WorkSafe Tasmania for more information on applying for a white card.