tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullApplying online takes about 10 minutes.

Key info

  • You must have a plumbing contractor licence to sell plumbing services to businesses, the public or the government.
  • Plumbing work includes installing, altering, maintaining, or disconnecting a plumbing installation such as refrigeration, sanitary plumbing and drainage, stormwater drainage, water services, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning, hydraulic, liquid fuel, medical gas or pneumatic gas.
  • If your application is successful, you will get confirmation within 21 days.
    Get startedCBOSPlease visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services to apply for a plumbing contractor licenceConsumer, Building and Occupational Services logo

    About applying for a plumbing contractor licence

    Once you apply online you must visit a service centre to provide proof of identity.

    A plumbing contractor must nominate a responsible person in their business as the nominated manager.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    You must:

    • provide proof of identity documents
    • provide a digital copy of your certificate of currency for insurance
    • provide a digital copy of company or business name copy of registration (if using a name other than your own personal name)
    • answer a set of declaration questions (with any supporting documents)
    • provide payment.

    Can I apply?

    You must:

    Proving your identity

    There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

    1. Your Australian driver licence

    You can show your Australian driver licence with your correct name and address details to prove your identity.

    2. Provide identity documents

    If you don't have a driver licence you must show at least:

    • One 'main proof of identity' document and two 'second proof of identity' documents, or
    • Two 'main proof of identity' documents and one 'second proof of identity' document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    If you bring copies of your original certificates they must be certified by a Commissioner for Declaration or a Justice of the Peace (JP).

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Immigration and Border Protection issued travel documents or Australian Government issued ImmiCard
    • Department of Immigration and Border Protection certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll.

      If you have changed your address or name

      If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you need to show us proof of your current name or address.

      If your name is different to what is shown on your main proof of identify, you must also give us at least one original proof of change of name document.

      At least one of your documents or cards must show your date of birth and current Tasmanian home address. If the current address is not shown, you need to provide a fourth document that is less than 6 months old, from the category proof of change of address.

      To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

      • financial institution statement
      • lease or rent agreement
      • council rate notice
      • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
      • land tax valuation notice
      • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
      • certificate of title.

      To show evidence of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

      • adoption paper issued by court
      • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
      • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
      • guardianship order
      • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

      If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

      How much it costs

      Occupation - plumberOne year licenceThree year licence

      Practitioner - sole trader (must hold a contractor licence)

      Please note that you will be charged a fee for your practitioner licence. This fee will be removed from your contractor licence fee and there will be no overall increase due to this administrative change.

      No fee

      No fee

      Practitioner or certifier



      Plumber provisional


      No licence option

      Contractor (sole trader)



      Contractor (2 to 4 practitioners)



      Contractor (5 to 9 practitioners)



      Contractor (10+ practitioners)



      Contractor - over 65 years



      Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

      Payment options

      OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
      Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

      More Information

      • The Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) scheme has commenced in Tasmania. This allows you to use your current licence or registration to do the same activities in other parts of Australia. Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services to find out more.

      Please visit Consumer, Building and Occupational Services for more information on applying for a plumbing contractor licence.