- A mining lease gives you exclusive rights to mine for minerals over a specific area of land.
- You must be 18 or over to apply.
- Mining leases are granted for the life of the mining project.
About applying for or renewing a mining lease
Mining leases can be granted for the following mineral categories:
- Category 1 - metallic minerals and atomic substances
- Category 2 - coal, peat, lignite, and oil shale
- Category 3 - construction minerals including stone, clay and sand
- Category 4 - petroleum products except oil shale
- Category 5 - industrial minerals, precious and semi-precious stones
- Category 6 - geothermal substances.
How to apply or renew
If you are applying by email or post, you must call (03) 6165 4800 first to pay the fee.
|Find your nearest Service Centreemail@example.com||PO Box 672|
Burnie, TAS 7320
You can also apply in-person at the MRT Burnie or Hobart Office.
What you need to apply or renew
To apply you must:
- submit a completed application form (PDF, 296KB)
- provide supporting documents
- provide proof of identity
- pay the licence fee.
Please see Mineral Resources Tasmania for a full list of the documents needed to support the application.
To renew, you must:
- submit a completed renewal form (PDF, 261KB)
- pay the licence fee
- provide supporting documents, including a:
- public liability insurance policy document
- current mining plan
- security deposit, and
- current compensation agreement with relevant landowner/s if required under the conditions of the mining lease.
Can I apply or renew?
You must be 18 or over.
Proving your identity
For individuals you must provide a photocopy of your:
- driver licence, or
For a company you must provide a photocopy of:
- a certificate of incorporation, or
- an Australian Companies Number (ACN) and list of directors or office holders.
How much it costs
Mining lease renewal
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
|Service Centre or MRT offices|
Please visit Mineral Resources Tasmania for more information on applying for or renewing a mining lease.