- Prospecting in Tasmania is a leisure activity where you collect samples of natural minerals with a hand-held instrument.
- A prospecting licence allows you to explore for minerals to a depth of less than 2 metres below ground.
- A prospecting licence is valid for 5 years.
|Find a Service Centre||button_link||Apply for a prospecting licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centre|
About applying for a prospecting licence
You can go prospecting on various types of land around Tasmania. In some circumstances you need the landowners' permission to prospect on their land.
Mineral Resources Tasmania provide an interactive map showing where you can go prospecting in Tasmania.
How to apply
If you are applying by email or post, you must call (03) 6165 4800 first to pay the fee.
|Find your nearest Service Centreemail@example.com||PO Box 672|
Burnie, TAS 7320
You can also apply in-person at the MRT Burnie or Hobart Office.
What you need to apply
You need to:
- submit a completed application form (PDF, 815KB), and
- pay the licence fee.
Can I apply?
Anyone over the age of 18 can apply.
If you are under 18, you can only go prospecting if you are with an adult who holds a prospecting licence.
Proving your identity
You do not need to prove your identity.
How much it costs
Mining lease renewal
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
|Service Centre or MRT offices|
- There are 21 conditions (PDF, 172KB) relating to prospecting licences.
Please visit Mineral Resources Tasmania for more information on applying for a prospecting licence.