- You can apply for a permit to export wildlife or products of wildlife from Tasmania.
- You must have a permit before any wildlife or wildlife products can be collected for shipment.
- If the application is for scientific or educational purposes, you must lodge it directly with Wildlife Management by email or post.
- If your application is for any other reason, you must visit a service centre with your application and pay a fee.
|Find a Service Centre||button_link||Apply for an export permit for wildlife at your nearest Service Tasmania service centre|
About applying for an export permit for wildlife
There are 2 types of wildlife exports:
- live animals, usually as pets or for exhibition in wildlife parks and zoos, and
- products of wildlife, including meat, fur and skins.
Due to the disruptions to travel caused by COVID-19, a permit may be issued for up to 3 months. If you would like to export wildlife more than once, and on different dates, you must lodge a new application each time.
Before you apply for a permit, it is a good idea to contact the state or territory you want to export to, and ask about the requirements for importing into that state or territory.
How to apply
|Find your nearest Service Centreemail@example.com||Wildlife Services|
GPO Box 44
Hobart, TAS 7001
What you need to apply
To apply for scientific or educational purposes, you must:
- complete an application form (PDF, 347KB), and
- lodge it by post or email.
To apply for any other reason, you must:
- complete an application form (PDF, 347KB)
- visit a service centre, and
- pay a fee.
Can I apply?
Anyone can apply.
Proving your identity
You do not need to prove your identity.
How much it costs
The export fee is $17 or $3.40 per animal, whichever is greater. This includes wildlife that is living and:
- partly protected
- specially protected.
In other cases (for example, non-living animals) the fee is $17.
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
- Please allow up to 15 business days for processing your application.
Please visit Wildlife Management for more information on applying for a permit for an export permit for wildlife.