tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Vintage and street rod registration is known as club event registration. You must be a member of a recognised car club to have vehicles registered under club event registration.
  • You will have conditions placed on the use of the vehicle including how many days per year you can drive it.
  • You must have the vehicle inspected by an authorised official of a recognised car club.
  • If your application is successful, you pay a reduced MAIB premium and you do not pay motor tax.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply to register at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying to register a vintage vehicle or street rod

    The vehicle must have been manufactured 30 years ago or more to be classed as a vintage vehicle.

    Transport Services have helpful guidelines on these vehicles and how they must used.

    You can use the vehicle for a maximum of 30 days per year outside of club events.

    You must carry a logbook at all times when you use the vehicle outside of club events.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    You must:

    • provide a declaration signed by a recognised car club official that:
      • states you are a current member of their club
      • identifies the vehicle by chassis/VIN and engine number
      • states the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
    • complete an application form (PDF, 169 KB)
    • provide proof of entitlement to register documents
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • provide an authority letter if you are a body corporate
    • provide a concession card if you have one
    • hand in any existing number plates associated with the vehicle
    • pay a fee.

    Can I apply?

    You can apply if you are:

    • 16 years or over for a light vehicle, or
    • 18 years or over for a heavy vehicle, or
    • a body corporate such as a company or an incorporated association, or
    • a government department, or
    • a government authority, and
    • you can provide proof of a Tasmanian garage address.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    To find out how much you need to pay, please visit Transport Services.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • To renew a registration for a vintage vehicle or street rod, please visit renew a vehicle registration. If you choose to renew at a service centre you must also provide:
      • a current membership card to the vintage car club that you are a member of or,
      • a declaration signed by an official of the club confirming that you are a current financial member.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying to register a vintage vehicle or street rod.