tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • If your vehicle does not need to be registered, but you need compulsory third party cover, a Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB) certificate of premium paid can be issued.
  • The certificate can be issued for 6 or 12 months.
  • You can register an off-road vehicle that is only used on private property or a vehicle that is from overseas and currently registered in the home country.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying to register a vehicle with a MAIB certificate of premium paid

    You can apply for:

    Off-road vehicles - this certificate covers personal injury or death only. Vehicles do not need registration if they are:

    • only used on private property, and
    • not used or parked on public streets.

    Overseas vehicles - which are currently registered in their home country. Vehicles must have MAIB insurance cover for personal injury to travel on our roads.

    The conditions that apply to overseas vehicle are:

    • the period since entering Tasmania should not exceed 6 months unless Transport Services has approved a longer period
    • all number plates and documents must be carried and displayed under the law of the country under which the vehicle is registered.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    You must:

    • complete an application form (PDF, 375KB)
    • provide a proof of entitlement to register document
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • hand in any existing Australian number plates (off road vehicle only)
    • pay a fee.

    Can I apply?

    You can apply if you are:

    • 16 years old for a light vehicle, or
    • 18 years old for a heavy vehicle, or
    • a body corporate, such as a company or an incorporated association, or
    • government department, or
    • government authority, and
    • you can provide proof of a Tasmanian garage address.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    To find out how much you need to pay, please visit Transport Services.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying to register a vehicle with a MAIB certificate of premium paid.