- You must apply at a service centre with a completed application form (PDF, 126KB).
- A duplicate plate will have the same letter and number combination as your current plates.
- Your plates take about 4 to 6 weeks to make.
- You will be notified by post when your plates are ready for collection at the service centre.
About applying for duplicate number plates
The duplicate plates available include:
Standard number plates
If your vehicle plates are faded, damaged, lost or stolen and you would like to keep the same letter and number combination, you can order duplicate plates for a
- heavy vehicle.
Bike rack number plates
By law, bike rack number plates must be attached if your number plate cannot be seen clearly from a 20 m distance. This may be because:
- a bike rack is blocking the view of the number plate
- the bikes carried on the bike rack block the view of the number plate.
A bike rack plate has the same letter and number combination as your current plate.
Slimline number plates
Slimline plates are a narrower style of number plate. They measure 372 mm by 100 mm compared to regular plates which measure 372 mm by 134 mm.
You can only attach a slimline plate to the front of a vehicle. You must attach a regular size plate to the back.
When you order duplicate slimline plates, you receive one slimline and one standard plate.
The slimline plates have the same letter and number combination as your current plates.
US size plate
US size plates measure 155 mm by 306 mm.
You can only attach a US plate to the front of a vehicle. You must attach a regular size plate to the back.
When you order duplicate US size plates, you receive one US and one standard plate.
The US size plates have the same letter and number combination as your current plates.
How to apply
|Find your nearest Service Centre|
What you need to apply
If the vehicle is registered in your name you must bring:
- a completed application form (PDF, 126KB)
- your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
If the vehicle is registered in someone else's name, you also must bring a:
- letter of authority from the registered owner clearly stating that you have permission act on their behalf
- copy of the registered owner's current Tasmania licence or proof of identity documents.
If the vehicle is registered in a company name you also must bring:
- proof that you are from the company with either:
- a letter of authority on company letterhead clearly stating that you have permission act on their behalf, or
- being in company uniform when you attend a service centre, or
- a business card printed with the company logo and your name.
Can I apply?
You can apply if the vehicle is registered in Tasmania and:
- currently registered in your name, or
- registered in someone else's name and they have given you written authority, or
- registered in a company name and the company has given you written authority on a company letterhead.
Proving your identity
To prove your identity you must show at least:
- One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
- Two category A documents and one category B document.
These documents must:
- show your current Tasmanian address
- be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
- be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.
- Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
- Australian citizenship papers
- Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
- Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
- Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
- Australian firearms licence
- Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
- Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
- Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.
- Medicare card
- Bank or credit card, with signature
- Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
- Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
- Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
- High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
- Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.
If you have changed your address or name
If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:
- your address, and/or
- change of name documents.
To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:
- financial institution statement
- lease or rent agreement
- council rate notice
- utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
- land tax valuation notice
- Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
- certificate of title.
To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:
- adoption paper issued by court
- divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
- change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
- guardianship order
- marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).
Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)
At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:
- residential address
- garage address
- change of name of the body corporate.
- Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
- Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
- Extract of company with ACN
- Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
- Certificate of incorporation
- Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.
- Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
- Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.
If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.
How much it costs
|Vehicle type||Plate fee|
Trailer or caravan
Duplicate plates (including slimline)
Bike rack plates
Street rod plates, special vintage plates (vintage car club association, EH etc.) and duplicate forestry plates
All-terrain vehicle - restricted plate
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
- Bike rack plates will be sent to your postal address.
- For all other duplicate plate orders, a letter will be sent when the plates are ready to be collected at the service centre. You must return any plates that are not damaged or lost at the time of collection.
- If you are in another state and your plates have been lost or stolen, please see 'if I have lost my plates interstate' on the Transport Services website.
Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying for duplicate number plates.