tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • If you are required to take part in the Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program, you will be notified by the Magistrates Court and then get a confirmation letter.
  • You must have the interlock device installed into your vehicle by a service provider and then visit a service centre to have your licence updated.
  • The minimum length of the interlock program is 15 months.
  • You must apply at a service centre.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkGet started with the Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About the Mandatory Alcohol Interlock Program (MAIP)

If you're on the MAIP, a breath testing device (interlock) will be connected to your vehicle's ignition and an I-Condition will be placed on your licence.

This means you must:

  • only drive a vehicle that has been fitted with an approved interlock
  • provide a breath test each time you start your car
  • have a blood alcohol content of 0.00 to operate your car, and
  • have your interlock regularly serviced with your service provider.

Transport Services provides a full MAIP guide (PDF, 1.3MB), including information on how to complete the Program successfully so you can get your driver licence back.

How to participate or remove

What you need to participate or remove

You must provide:

  • an application form (PDF, 251KB)
  • completed paperwork from your provider once the device has been installed or removed from your vehicle
  • your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
  • payment.

Can I participate or remove?

You must take part if you are convicted of:

  • driving under the influence of alcohol
  • recording a blood alcohol reading of 0.15 or more whilst driving
  • two or more drink driving offences in a 5-year period
  • failing to give a breath or blood specimen for analysis.

To remove or complete the Program, you must record 0 lockouts in the last 180 days of being on the Program.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Mandatory Alcohol Interlock ProgramStandard feePensioner fee







Application to identify and differentiate different users



Application to revoke 'I' condition



Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

Please visit Transport Services for more information on participating in or removing the mandatory alcohol interlock program.