tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullBooking online takes about 5 minutes.

Key info

  • You can book your assessment before you have met your learner requirements, as long as you meet them before you sit your driving test.
  • To be eligible to sit your provisional driving assessment you must be at least 17.
  • You must have had a learner licence for the required amount of time and have completed the required logbook hours before you can take your provisional driving test. These requirements differ depending on when you got your learner licence.
  • In December 2020 changes were introduced for learner drivers in Tasmania. Visit Plates Plus to see how you may be affected.
Get startedbutton_linkPlease visit Transport Services to book your provisional driving assessment Tasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

About booking a provisional driving assessment

You can take your provisional driving assessment with a:

You cannot take your P1 driving assessment with an assessor that taught you during your Learner licensing stage.

How to book

With a government assessor:

OnlineService Centre
Driver Assessment Booking ServiceFind your nearest Service Centre

Online bookings are not available:

  • for driving assessments on King or Flinders Island
  • if your licence expired more than 5 years ago
  • for overseas conversions
  • for people who need an interpreter
  • if your licence is disqualified
  • for assessments to remove a licence condition(s).

With a non-government assessor:

List of non-government assessors

What you need to book

To book a provisional driving assessment with a government assessor, you must provide:

  • your current Tasmanian licence
  • payment.

To book a provisional driving assessment with a non-government assessor, you must contact them directly and ask what they need to book an assessment.

On the day of your assessment, you need:

  • your current Tasmanian licence
  • your completed log book (verified and signed)
  • any medical forms (if applicable)
  • an exemption approval confirmation (if applicable)
  • payment (if you did not pay when booking)
  • a mask to wear during the test (if applicable).

You may also need to sign an agreement stating you agree to the assessment being filmed for safety and review purposes.

Can I book?

You must:

  • have held you L2 licence for 9 continuous months
  • have completed 50 logbook hours
  • ensure your supervisory driver has verified your logged hours and signed the statutory declaration in the middle of the logbook.

If you held an L1 licence when changes were introduced in December 2020, please visit Plates Plus for more information.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Assessment TypeCost



Non-novice learner or overseas conversion (car)


Assessment for driving instructor


Assessment in any other case by a government driving assessor


Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

For a government assessor

OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

For a non-government assessor:

You must ask the individual assessor what payment methods they accept.

Non-government assessors can only charge the standard fee for a P1 assessment, however, they can also charge additional fees for:

  • hire of an assessment vehicle
  • a car familiarisation session
  • assessing in your vehicle (or a driving school's vehicle)
  • other fees for services (such as fees for rural travel, administration or booking fees).

It is a good idea to confirm what fees you will be charged for a P1 assessment before booking with a non-government assessor.

More Information

Please visit Transport Services for more information on booking a provisional driving assessment.