tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply to be a ride-source driver at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying to be a ride-source driver

    Ride-sourcing or ride-sharing is an arrangement where:

    • you (a driver) make a car available for public hire for passengers
    • a passenger uses a third-party digital platform, such as a website or an app, to request a ride
    • you use the car to transport the passenger for payment (a fare).

    You need to apply for an ancillary certificate or licence at a service centre to become a ride-source driver.

    Your licence will be valid for 12 months and a renewal notice will be emailed to you before it expires.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    To complete an application form (PDF, 248KB) you need:

    • your personal details
    • your working with vulnerable people card details
    • your driver licence and vehicle registration details
    • details of the platform provider
    • a fitness to drive declaration
    • your work visa (if applicable).

    You also need:

    • your current full Tasmanian licence and a statement of licence details from another Australian state or territory (if you have held your Tasmanian licence less than 12 months)
    • to hold a current working with vulnerable people card
    • a current national criminal history check dated within 6 months from the application date
    • a medical report (if you have declared any medical conditions other than visual aids)
    • a general vehicle inspection report conducted by an approved inspection station, dated within 30 days of making the application
    • a completed Ride Source Duty Exemption form (if the vehicle you will be using is not registered to you), it can be obtained from your ride-source provider.

    Can I apply?

    You must:

    • have held a current full Australian driver licence for at least 12 months
    • be at least 21 years of age
    • be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen, permanent resident or hold a visa allowing you to work in Australia
    • understand and be familiar with the Tasmanian road rules (PDF, 4.4MB) and the public passenger operating requirements.

    Your nominated vehicle must:

    • be lighter than 4.5 tonnes
    • have a Tasmanian registration
    • be roadworthy
    • be registered in your name
    • pass a vehicle inspection and undertake annual inspections (you must also contact your platform provider to ensure your vehicle meets their vehicle requirements)
    • display a vehicle inspection roadworthy label on the top left-hand corner of the front windscreen.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    Type of certificateCost 

    Ancillary certificate to drive public passenger vehicle


    Ancillary certificate in driving instruction


    Ancillary certificate to drive a ride-source vehicle


    Ancillary certificate to drive a ride-source vehicle (currently hold another ancillary certificate)


    Duplicate or replacement ancillary certificate


    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • You will be advised of the outcome of your application within 14 days.
    • If you intend to launch a ride-source platform in Tasmania, contact Industry Policy, Department of State Growth at taxireview@stategrowth.tas.gov.au.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying to be a ride-source driver.