tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Once you pass your provisional driving assessment you can apply for a provisional licence.
  • You must visit a service centre to have your licence issued.
  • You must be 17 years or over.
  • You will be given a provisional driver licence that includes both your P1 and P2 period.
Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply for a provisional driver licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centrePlates Plus Tasmania Logo

About applying for a provisional driver licence

Your provisional licence card will have:

  • P1 licence for a minimum of 1 year regardless of age
  • P2 licence for 2 years if you are under 25, or
  • P2 licence for 1 year if you are over 25.

To be able to move on to the P2 period, you must hold your P1 licence continuously for 12 months, without any:

  • disqualifications
  • suspensions, or
  • restarts.

In some circumstances you may be able to apply for an eligibility exemption.

All the conditions and requirements of a provisional licence holder can be found on the Plates Plus website.

How to apply

What you need to apply

You must:

  • fill out an application form (PDF, 251KB)
  • provide a certificate of competency showing you have passed a provisional driving assessment
  • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
  • provide a current pension concession, Department of Veterans Affairs or health care card (if applicable)
  • pay a fee
  • have a new photo taken.

Can I apply?

You can apply for a provisional driver licence if you are 17 years or over and have passed a provisional driving assessment.

You cannot apply if you have any suspensions or disqualifications.

Proving your identity

To prove your identity you must show at least:

  • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
  • Two category A documents and one category B document.

These documents must:

  • show your current Tasmanian address
  • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
  • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
  • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
  • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
  • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
  • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

  • your address, and/or
  • change of name documents.

To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

  • financial institution statement
  • lease or rent agreement
  • council rate notice
  • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
  • land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • certificate of title.

To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

  • adoption paper issued by court
  • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
  • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • guardianship order
  • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

  • residential address
  • garage address
  • change of name of the body corporate.

  • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Extract of company with ACN
  • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

  • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
  • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

How much it costs

Licence typeStandard feeConcession fee

Learner driver (includes non-novice learner drivers)


Not available

Learner motorcycle (includes novice and non-novice riders)


Not available

Heavy vehicle learner


Not available

P1 and P2 combined



Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • You can buy red and green 'P' plates at a service centre.

Please visit Plates Plus for more information on applying for a provisional driver licence.