- A police history record check is conducted against police records held in all Australian states and territories.
- Record checks are often used for employment purposes, including occupation-related licensing.
- Tasmania Police does not conduct police record checks for overseas applicants or for Australian immigration purposes. For these purposes, please visit the Australian Federal Police website.
About applying for a national police check
If you need a police check for volunteer or charity work, you can pay a reduced fee.
National police record checks will not be sent to overseas addresses.
How to apply
|email@example.com||Criminal History Services|
GPO BOX 308
Hobart, TAS 7001
What you need to apply
To complete your application form (PDF, 883KB) you need:
- your personal details
- the type of police check you require
- purpose of police check
- proof of identity
- statement of consent
- a witness to sign your application form
- your guardian to witness your application (if applicable)
- concession status. If you qualify for a concession, you must submit a concession rate form with your application.
Can I apply?
Anyone can apply for a police check, however if you are under 16 years old a guardian must witness your application.
If you live in another state or territory and need a National Police Record Check to use in that state or territory, you must contact your local police.
Proving your identity
You must provide a minimum of 100 points of identity. This must include at least one photo ID document from Category A.
- Current Australian Passport (70 points)
- Security Agent / Crowd Controller Licence (70 points)
- Current Driver's Licence (40 points)
- Current Overseas Passport (40 points)
- Current Firearms Licence (40 points)
- Service Tasmania Personal Information Card (40 points)
- Working with Children Card (40 points)
- Current Tertiary Student ID Card (20 points).
- Full Birth Certificate (70 points)
- Citizenship Certificate (70 points)
- Immigration Documents - Visa (70 points)
- Marriage Certificate - BDM issued only (40 points)
- Legal Name Change / Deed Poll Certificate (40 points)
- Professional Board Registration Certificate / Trade Certificate (40 points)
- Centrelink / Pensioner Health or Concession Card (40 points)
- Bank / Financial Institution Card (40 points)
- Tenancy Agreement or Lease (20 points)
- Medicare Card / Private Health Fund (20 points)
- Rates Notice (20 points)
- Utility Account (20 points)
- Employment Records / Employer Reference - confirming name and address (10 points).
How much it costs
National police record check
National police record check and fingerprint check
National police record check (concession rate)
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
|Email or Post|
- If you need help to complete this form contact Criminal History Services during business hours on 03 6173 2928 or 03 6173 2929.
- You can also apply for a police check at an Australia Post Office. It is a good idea to check what type of police history you need before you apply
- Tasmania Police does not conduct Police Record Checks for overseas applicants or for Australian immigration purposes. For these purposes, please visit the Australian Federal Police website.
Please visit Tasmania Police for more information on applying for a national police check.