- You will be sent a renewal notice about 2 months before your licence expires.
- You must bring this renewal notice, your current firearms licence, and supporting evidence to a service centre.
- You must have a genuine reason to continue to use a firearm.
- If you do not have a valid licence you must surrender your firearm.
About renewing a firearms licence
You must apply for a renewal when your licence expires.
Your licence will still be valid if you apply within 14 days after the expiry date, and you meet all the application requirements.
If you do not renew
If you do not apply for renewal before midnight on the 14th day after expiry you must:
How to renew
|Find your nearest Service Centre|
What you need to renew
When you visit the service centre you must:
- bring your yellow renewal form
- provide your current firearms licence card
- provide supporting evidence (proof) of genuine reason
- pay the fee
- have your photo taken.
Can I renew?
You can renew a firearms licence if:
- you have received your yellow renewal form in the post
- your licence has not expired by more than 14 days
- you can show evidence that you have a genuine reason for owning or using a firearm.
Proving your identity
There are 2 ways to prove your identity:
1. Provide your firearms licence
You can show your current firearms licence.
2. Provide identity documents
You must show documents amounting to 100 points when applying. These documents must be originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
You can only show one of these
- Passport (70 points)
- Citizenship certificate (70 points)
- Birth certificate (70 points).
- Licence issued under law - a driver licence or current gun licence (40 points)
- Employment ID - card issued by employer with your name and address only (35 points)
- Employment ID - card issued by employer with your name only (25 points)
- Letter from employer within last 2 years confirming name and address (35 points)
- Rates notice (35 points)
- Credit or debit cards/passbooks - only one allowed per institution (25 points)
- Medicare card (25 points)
- Membership card - club, union, trade or professional bodies (25 points)
- Membership card - educational institution (25 points).
If you arrived in Australia less than 6 weeks ago, your passport is worth 100 points.
How much it costs
Categories A, B and H licence - 5 years
Categories A, B and H licence - 3 years
Category C licence - 5 years
Category C licence - 3 years
Category C licence - 12 months or less
Category D licence
Dealers licence or renewal
Museum licence or renewal
Heirlooms licence or renewal
You do not pay GST on firearms applications.
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.