tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • The Transport Access Scheme gives you access to an Australian Disability Parking Permit, the Taxi Subsidy Program and concessions on vehicle registration and licensing.
  • You must complete the application form (PDF, 914KB) which includes a section to be filled-in by your medical practitioner or GP.
  • There is no cost to apply.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply for the Transport Access Scheme at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying for the Transport Access Scheme

    The Transport Access Scheme (TAS) is for people with a permanent disability which significantly reduces their mobility.

    Members can get access to:

    • an Australian Disability Parking Permit
    • subsidies through the Taxi Subsidy Program
    • concessions on vehicle registration and driver licensing for one vehicle.

    Australian Disability Parking Permit

    This permit allows you to park in:

    • parking zones for people with disabilities, for no longer than the time displayed on the parking sign
    • an area controlled by a parking sign or meter with a time limit of less than 30 minutes (for example 5 minutes or 10 minutes). You can park for a maximum of 30 minutes
    • an area controlled by a parking sign or meter with a time limit of 30 minutes to one hour, for a maximum of 2 hours
    • an area controlled by a parking sign or meter with a time limit of one hour or longer, for twice the time shown on the sign.

    For parking spaces controlled by a parking meter or voucher vending machine, the maximum time must be paid before the additional time above takes effect.

    The permit can be used in all states and territories of Australia.

    Taxi Subsidy Program

    This program gives you a:

    • 50% fare reduction up to $25 when travelling in a standard taxi, or
    • 60% fare reduction up to $30 in an accessible taxi for members who use a wheelchair.

    Interstate taxi subsidy vouchers are available on request.

    Vehicle registration and driver licensing concessions

    These concessions give you:

    • a reduced driver licence fee
    • an exemption from annual motor tax charges (one vehicle only, with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of less than 4.5 tonnes)
    • a reduced motor vehicle registration fee
    • an exemption from stamp duty when registering a new vehicle or transferring the registration of a used vehicle (one vehicle only, with a GVM of less than 4.5 tonnes, and
    • a reduced Motor Accident Insurance Board (MAIB) premium on a passenger or light goods vehicle with a GVM of less than 4.5 tonnes.

      How to apply

      Service CentrePostEmail
      Find your nearest Service CentrePassenger Transport
      GPO Box 1242
      Hobart TAS 7001

      What you need to apply

      You must have the following information:

      • a completed application form (PDF, 914KB)
      • relevant sections completed by a medical practitioner or GP
      • current concession card (if applicable).

      Authorised person

      Only you or an approved authorised person can sign the declaration and Centrelink customer consent on the application.

      An authorised person is someone who has been authorised to act on your behalf by a:

      • power of attorney
      • court, tribunal or guardianship order
      • Public Trustee or administration order, or
      • Centrelink correspondence nominee.

      If an approved authorised person is signing on your behalf, you must attach evidence of authorisation to the application.

      If you are under 16, your parent or legal guardian is considered an authorised person.

      Can I apply?

      You must be a Tasmanian resident with a permanent disability which restricts your physical mobility (it cannot be temporary or corrected by recognised surgery or treatment).

      Taxi Subsidy Program

      To be eligible for the Taxi Subsidy Program you must have one of the following current concession cards:

      Centrelink issued

      • Pensioner Concession Card
      • Health Care Card
      • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

      Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) issued

      • Pensioner Concession Card
      • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

      If you use a wheelchair you do not need a concession card for these subsidies.

      Vehicle Registration Concessions

      Concessions will only apply to a vehicle registered in the name of:

      • a member of the Transport Access Scheme (TAS) or registered jointly with another person
      • the parent or guardian of a child under 16 who is a member of TAS. When a TAS member turns 16, the vehicle must be transferred into their name or joint names in order to continue receiving the concessions.

      Proving your identity

      You do not need to prove your identity.

      How much it costs

      There is no cost associated with this service.

      Payment options

      There is no payment required for this service.

      More Information

      • Applications usually take about 3 weeks.
      • Your concession will start after you have been approved for the transport access scheme. Refunds are not given for any motor vehicle registration and duty payments made before being approved.
      • If both an Australian Disability Parking Permit and a Taxi Subsidy Smartcard are applied for these will arrive separately by post.​
      • You must complete the Transport Access Scheme application supplement (PDF, 684KB) if you are a member:
        • applying to access the Taxi Subsidy Program,
        • with Taxi Subsidies and you want to update your membership because you now use a wheelchair and need an accessible taxi for transport.
      • Taxi Subsidy Smartcards renewals:
        • cards are auto-renewed at no cost
        • the new card is sent to your postal address
        • if you have not used your card it will not auto-renew after 3 years. eligible members can call and have a replacement card issued at no cost.

      Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying for the Transport Access Scheme.