tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • You can only transfer a mooring permit that was issued before 1 January 2014.
  • Mooring permits issued after 1 January 2014 must be handed in to Marine and Safety Tasmania and re-issued.
  • Check with Marine and Safety Tasmania before buying a mooring to make sure the site is suitable for your vessel.
  • An application to transfer a mooring permit must be submitted to Service Tasmania or Marine and Safety Tasmania within 14 days of buying it.
    Find a service centrebutton_linkTransfer a mooring permit at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreMAST logo

    About transferring a mooring permit

    If the mooring is not transferable (if it was issued after 1 January 2014) you must make an application to register a new mooring. The current registered owner must complete:

    This must be posted to Marine and Safety Tasmania or handed in at a service centre. The buyer of the mooring permit can then apply for a new mooring.

    There is no fee to hand in or surrender a mooring permit.

    When you buy a mooring permit, you must make sure that your vessel is the same length or smaller than the mooring permit allows.

    If your vessel is longer than the approved length you may not be able to use it for your vessel. Contact Marine and Safety Tasmania to discuss options.

    How to transfer

    What you need to transfer

    When you visit the service centre, you must:

    • bring or complete an application form (PDF, 147KB)
    • provide proof of identity
    • pay a fee.

      Can I transfer?

      Anyone can transfer a mooring permit into their name.

      Proving your identity

      There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

      1. your Tasmanian driver licence
      You can show your driver licence, even if it expired up to 2 years ago

      2. provide identity documents
      If you don't have a Tasmanian driver licence, you must show at least:

      • One Category A document and two Category B documents, or
      • Two Category A documents and one Category B document.

      • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
      • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Overseas passport/visa (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian firearms licence
      • Tasmanian Government personal information card (displaying full name)
      • Australian citizenship papers
      • Travel documents or ImmiCard (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection or Australian Government)
      • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection)

      • Medicare card
      • Bank or credit card with signature
      • Student identity card with photo (issued by an Australian educational institution)
      • Concession card (Veteran's Affairs/Centrelink/other current entitlement issued by the Australian Government)
      • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate/deed poll (not a church or celebrant issued document)
      • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
      • Working with vulnerable people or children card (issued by the Australian Government).

      At least one document must confirm your current Tasmanian residential address

      Additional evidentiary documentation may be required from the Evidence of Residential Address section below.

      Documents must be less than 6 months old.

      • Financial institution statement
      • Utility account (power, water, telephone)
      • Council rate notice
      • Lease or rent agreement
      • Land tax valuation notice
      • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
      • Certificate of title.

      • Adoption paper issued by court
      • Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
      • Change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
      • Guardianship order
      • Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

      If you are a provisional applicant, and you are unable to provide any of the above documentation to confirm a current Tasmanian residential address, you may provide one of the following:

      • Copy of driver licence of either parent (as identified on birth certificate)
      • Letter from current school confirming enrolment and address
      • Concession card - provisional applicant as a listed dependent

      How much it costs


      Renewal fee


      Transfer of ownership


      Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

      Payment options

      Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

      More Information

      Please visit Marine and Safety Tasmania for more information on transferring a mooring permit.