tas.gov.au - external site
coronavirus.tas.gov.au - external site

Key info

  • Marine and Safety Tasmania recognise a current boat licence issued in another state.
  • Your licence must be transferred within 3 months of moving to Tasmania.
  • All Tasmanian boat licences expire on the same date.
  • The Moving to Tasmania life event contains additional information to help you manage the things that need to be done as part of the move.
Find a Service CentrelinkTransfer an interstate boat licence at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreMAST logo

About transferring an interstate boat licence

All Tasmanian boat licences expire on the same date every 3 years.

When transferring your interstate licence, you must pay a licence fee based on the number of days to that expiry date. The current expiry date is June 2024.

A coxswains certificate can also be used to get a Tasmanian recreational boat licence.

How to transfer

What you need to transfer

You must:

  • have a completed application form (PDF, 180KB)
  • have a current interstate motorboat licence or certificate of competency issued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority
  • show proof of identity documents
  • pay the transfer fee.

Can I transfer?

If you have a current boat licence issued from another state in Australia and have moved to Tasmania, you can transfer to a Tasmanian boat licence.

Proving your identity

There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

1. your Tasmanian driver licence
You can show your driver licence, even if it expired up to 2 years ago

2. provide identity documents
If you don't have a Tasmanian driver licence, you must show at least:

  • One Category A document and two Category B documents, or
  • Two Category A documents and one Category B document.

  • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
  • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Overseas passport/visa (can be expired up to 2 years)
  • Australian firearms licence
  • Tasmanian Government personal information card (displaying full name)
  • Australian citizenship papers
  • Travel documents or ImmiCard (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection or Australian Government)
  • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection)

  • Medicare card
  • Bank or credit card with signature
  • Student identity card with photo (issued by an Australian educational institution)
  • Concession card (Veteran's Affairs/Centrelink/other current entitlement issued by the Australian Government)
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate/deed poll (not a church or celebrant issued document)
  • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
  • Working with vulnerable people or children card (issued by the Australian Government).

If you have changed your address or name

If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show evidence of your address, and/or change of name documents.

The following documents can be used to show evidence of a change of address (documents must be less than 6 months old).

  • Financial institution statement
  • Utility account (power, water, telephone)
  • Council rate notice
  • Lease or rent agreement
  • Land tax valuation notice
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
  • Certificate of title.

  • Adoption paper issued by court
  • Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
  • Change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
  • Guardianship order
  • Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

How much it costs

The licence fee depends on your age and the type of licence you are applying for.

Marine and Safety Tasmania provide a handy fee calculator to help you work out the cost.

Payment options

Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

More Information

  • A plastic licence card is available for an extra fee. The card is usually sent to you within 2 weeks.

Please visit Marine and Safety Tasmania for more information on transferring an interstate boat licence.