tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullRenewing online takes about 2 minutes.

Key info

  • Licences are valid for 3 years and must be renewed if you intend to drive a boat.
  • All motorboat licences expire on 30 June 2024.
  • If you hold a current licence, a renewal will be sent to you before the expiry date.
    Get startedlinkPlease visit Marine and Safety Tasmania to renew a boat licence MAST logo

    About renewing a boat licence

    All boat licences expire on the same date every 3 years. You can check the status of your licence at any time.

    How to renew

    What you need to renew

    Renewing online

    You can renew online with:

    • your renewal notice, your payment number and the biller code details
    • a Visa or Mastercard to pay the fee.

    You can also renew through BPAY:

    • log into your online banking
    • select BPAY
    • enter the biller code and payment number on your renewal notice and pay through your bank account.

    Renewing at a service centre

    You must:

    • bring your renewal notice
    • pay a fee.

      Can I renew?

      You can renew your licence as soon as you receive your renewal notice.

      Proving your identity

      If you renew online you will not need to prove your identity.

      If you visit a service centre, you must show your renewal notice. If you do not have your renewal notice, you must prove your identity.

      There are 2 ways to prove your identity:

      1. your Tasmanian driver licence
      You can show your driver licence, even if it expired up to 2 years ago

      2. provide identity documents
      If you don't have a Tasmanian driver licence, you must show at least:

      • One Category A document and two Category B documents, or
      • Two Category A documents and one Category B document.

      • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
      • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Overseas passport/visa (can be expired up to 2 years)
      • Australian firearms licence
      • Tasmanian Government personal information card (displaying full name)
      • Australian citizenship papers
      • Travel documents or ImmiCard (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection or Australian Government)
      • Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status (issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection).

      • Medicare card
      • Bank or credit card with signature
      • Student identity card with photo (issued by an Australian educational institution)
      • Concession card (Veteran's Affairs/Centrelink/other current entitlement issued by the Australian Government)
      • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate/deed poll (not a church or celebrant issued document)
      • High risk work licence (issued by WorkSafe Tasmania)
      • Working with vulnerable people or children card (issued by the Australian Government).

      If you have changed your address or name

      If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show evidence of your address, and/or change of name documents.

      The following documents can be used to show evidence of a change of address (documents must be less than 6 months old).

      • Financial institution statement
      • Utility account (power, water, telephone)
      • Council rate notice
      • Lease or rent agreement
      • Land tax valuation notice
      • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
      • Certificate of title.

      • Adoption paper issued by court
      • Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
      • Change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
      • Guardianship order
      • Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

      How much it costs


      Motorboat licence with personal watercraft endorsement


      Motorboat licences


      Personal watercraft endorsements


      Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

      Payment options

      OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard LogoBPAY Icon
      Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

      More Information

      • You can change your address on the licence, the change may take up to 48 hours to process.
      • A plastic licence card is available for an extra fee. The card is usually sent to you within 2 weeks.
      • If you have a personal watercraft (PWC) endorsement on your boat licence you will renew this together with your boat licence.
      • If you would like to operate a personal watercraft (PWC) and do not have an endorsement on your motorboat licence you will need to obtain one. 

      Please visit Marine and Safety Tasmania for more information on renewing a boat licence.