tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site
 nullApplying online takes about 15 minutes.

Key info

  • A marriage certificate is an official document that confirms a couple is married. It is issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages.
  • Marriage certificates can be used as proof of your wedding for official purposes.
  • After application, you should receive your certificate within 2 weeks.
Get startedBirths, Deaths and MarriagesPlease visit Births, Deaths and Marriages to apply for a marriage certificateTasmanian Government - Department of Justice Logo

About applying for a marriage certificate

There are 3 types of marriage certificates:

  • a standard marriage certificate - an official, certified copy of the marriage registration details held by Births, Deaths and Marriages. This certificate will list your new married name and can be used as proof of identity for any future name changes
  • an extract of marriage - contains the names of the married couple and the date and place of the marriage only. In most cases you cannot use it as proof of identity
  • a certificate of no record - a certificate that confirms you are not currently married in Tasmania. You might need a certificate of no record if you want to get married overseas.

How to apply

OnlineService CentrePost
Births, Deaths and MarriagesFind your nearest Service CentreRegistry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
30 Gordons Hill Road

Priority service

A priority service is available online and at some service centres.


Approved applications can be issued the same day by registered or express post.

Service centre

If you lodge a priority application at one of the following service centres, it can be printed onsite, ready for you to collect.

  • Burnie
  • Devonport
  • Hobart
  • Huonville
  • Launceston
  • Scottsdale
  • Sorell

Certificates can be printed on-site within 2 hours once the application is submitted.

You must collect your certificate with your identification and receipt.

What you need to apply

You must have the following:

  • the type of certificate you want
  • personal details of both parties (including their surnames before marriage)
  • place and date of marriage
  • reason you are applying
  • contact information
  • proof of identity documents
  • payment for the fee.

If you are applying by post or at a service centre, you must complete a marriage certificate application (PDF, 245KB).

Can I apply?

To apply for a certificate, the marriage must have taken place in Tasmania.

If you were married interstate or overseas, please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for information on other Australian and overseas registries.

You can apply for your own marriage certificate. Other people who can apply include:

  • a child of the couple
  • an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee - proof of authority must be provided
  • someone with written authority or power of attorney - proof of authority (PDF, 416KB) must be provided.

Anyone can access a marriage record more than 75 years old.

Proving your identity

There are 3 ways you can prove your identity:

  • online (documents marked with an asterisk (*) can be verified by our online document verification service)
  • by showing your original identity documents at a service centre
  • by sending certified copies of your identity documents by post.

You must provide one of these combinations of current documents:

  • One document from category 1, 2 and 3
  • Two documents from category 2 and one from category 1 or 3
  • Two documents from category 3 and one from category 1 or 2.

At least one document must show your current address.

  • *An Australian birth certificate
  • *Citizenship certificate
  • Immicard
  • New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
  • New Zealand birth certificate.

  • *Australian driver licence
  • *Australian passport
  • Firearms licence
  • Foreign passport
  • Proof of age card.

  • *Medicare card
  • *Australian marriage certificate (issued from Births Deaths and Marriages office)
  • Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs card
  • Security/crowd control licence
  • Tertiary education institution ID card
  • Credit card/bank statement
  • Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
  • Lease or rent agreement with current address
  • Australian Taxation Office assessment with current address.

If you have changed your name please provide proof from the list below of each name change. This is so we can link your current name to the name recorded on the birth record.

  • Adoption paper issued by court
  • Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
  • Change of name registration from Australia or overseas issuing authority
  • Guardianship order
  • Relationship certificate (not required if registered in Tasmania)
  • Marriage certificate from Australia or overseas issuing authority (not required if registered in Tasmania).

  • If you submit a printed online bank, superannuation or utility statement, they must be:
    • on official company letterhead, or
    • stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
  • Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued with the last 12 months.

  • If you live overseas, you can provide overseas' equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign driver licence.
  • Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.

How much it costs

Type of certificateDescriptionCost

Standard certificate

Fee for an official birth, death, marriage, change of name or relationship certificate.


Priority Service (posted)

This service ensures that an approved and completed application is processed and issued within 24 hours.


Priority Service (same day collection)

This service ensures that an approved and completed application is processed within two hours (in service centre opening hours). This service is only available at the Hobart, Sorell, Launceston, Devonport, Burnie, Scottsdale and Huonville service centres.


Decorative birth certificate

You cannot use a decorative certificate for official purposes, such as proof of identity.


Standard birth and decorative package

A standard birth certificate and a decorative birth certificate.


Extended search

A standard certificate application includes a 5 year search. There is an extra fee ($18.70) for every additional 5 years searched.


Medical certificate of cause of death (post 1970 deaths only)

A certified copy of the original medical certificate showing cause of death only.


Postage costs

There are additional costs that apply for certificate postage.

Postage TypeCost

Express Post (within Australia)


International Registered Postage


International Standard Air Mail


Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

Payment options

OnlineVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo
PostCheque IconMoney Order IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

Please note: Personal cheques are not accepted for the priority service

More Information

  • Once you have your marriage certificate, that is all you need to change your name. You do not need to apply to register a change of name.
  • If you changed your name outside Tasmania, you must apply in the state or territory where you registered the change of name.
  • Before November 2000 name changes were registered as a deed poll change of name and the certificate you will receive may be in a different format.

Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information on applying for a marriage certificate.