tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • We offer our condolences for your loss. Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM) cannot formally register the birth of your child, but you do have the right to commemorate your loss.
  • You need to complete an application form (PDF, 141KB), which can be returned by post or in-person at the BDM office (by appointment only).
  • There is no fee for a recognition certificate.
  • The what to do when someone dies life event contains additional information to help you manage the things that need to be done at this difficult time.
Visit nowbutton_linkPlease visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information about applying for an early pregnancy loss certificateTasmanian Government - Department of Justice Logo

About applying for an early pregnancy loss certificate

An early pregnancy loss recognition certificate cannot be used for official purposes.

How to apply

In personPost
Births, Deaths and Marriages Office (by appointment only)Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
30 Gordons Hill Road

What you need to apply

You will need the following to complete the application form (PDF, 141KB):

  • your baby's details
  • both parent's details
  • the applicant's details
  • a healthcare provider's declaration.

If you choose not to provide a name for your child, the certificate will show "Baby of" and then your name(s).

If only one parent signs the application the other parent will not appear on the recognition certificate.

Can I apply?

You can apply if you are the parent(s) of the child and your:

  • loss took place in Tasmania
  • loss took place before 20 weeks or, if weeks are unknown, your baby weighed less than 400g
  • treating medical practitioner or midwife has signed the declaration.

Proving your identity

You do not need to prove your identity.

How much it costs

There is no cost associated with this service.

Payment options

There is no payment required for this service.

More Information

Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information on applying for an early loss of pregnancy recognition certificate.