|Applying online takes about 10 minutes.|
- You must register your newborn in Tasmania.
- Make sure you have the contact details of each parent (e-mail and phone number) before you start.
- Once you begin the online application, you will be unable to save and return to it later.
- Once your newborn is registered you can apply for a birth certificate.
About registering your newborn
You must register your newborn with Births, Deaths and Marriages.
When you register your newborn, you are officially giving your child a legal name, which can then be used to get a birth certificate and access to services such as Medicare.
If you give birth in a hospital, they often give you a birth registration form to fill out and return to the Births, Deaths and Marriages office. You can also do this online.
You must have registered your newborn before you can apply for a birth certificate.
How to apply
|Births, Deaths and Marriages||Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
30 Gordons Hill Road
ROSNY PARK TAS 7018
If you are unable to complete the birth registration form online, please contact Births, Deaths and Marriages on (03) 6165 3450 for a paper copy.
What you need to apply
You must have the following information to register your newborn:
- baby's full name
- date and place of baby's birth
- full names, contact details, place of birth, occupation and address of both parents
- clear, readable scans or photos of 3 pieces of identification for both parents
- parent's marriage or relationship details
- details of other children of the mother and other parent and/or just the mother.
Can I apply?
To register your newborn:
- your baby must have been born in Tasmania
- you must be the parent(s) of the newborn.
If one parent is unknown or is unable or unwilling to sign, please contact Births, Deaths and Marriages for advice.
Proving your identity
If applying online, documents marked with an asterisk (*) can be verified by our online document verification service, for all other documents, you must upload a copy.
You must provide one of these combinations of documents:
- One document from category 1, 2 and 3
- Two documents from category 2 and one from category 1 or 3
- Two documents from category 3 and one from category 1 or 2.
At least one document must show your current address.
- *An Australian birth certificate
- *Citizenship certificate
- New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
- New Zealand birth certificate.
- *Australian driver licence
- *Australian passport
- Firearms licence
- Foreign passport
- Working with vulnerable people card.
- *Medicare card
- *Australian marriage certificate (issued from Births Deaths and Marriages office)
- Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs card
- Security or crowd control licence
- Tertiary education institution ID card
- Credit card or bank statement
- Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
- Lease or rent agreement with current address
- Australian Taxation Office assessment with current address.
If you are unable to meet these requirements, please contact Births, Deaths and Marriages for further advice.
How much it costs
There is no cost associated with this service.
There is no payment required for this service.
- Once you have completed the online birth registration, you will be given the option to order a birth certificate at the same time. Applying for a birth certificate will incur a fee.
Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information on registering your newborn.